In this episode, I’m talking to Delton Dsouza. He’s an adventure Film Maker, Director of Photography and Cinematographer. He’s been publishing his amazing adventure outdoors videos on YouTube including his BikePacking Series. His video editing works are just out of the world. He’s also done commercial work with names like Vogue, Flipkart and more.
In this conversation, we cover a wide variety of topics – his creative process, how he transitioned to this creative career from a regular airline job. We also talk about his YouTube series called BikePacking. There is a lot of nitty-gritty details if you are an aspiring filmmaker, YouTuber or Director.
It was just pure joy listening to this guy talks about his passion.
So without further adieu, please enjoy this conversation with Delton Dsouza.
Links and references from the episode –
People Mentioned –
- Vishal (DOP) – who pointed out that his videos were good
- His adventure mates –
- Sajid Chougle – The one and only Civilian Base Jumper in India. They shot a video of Sajid doing a base jump in Ahmed Nagar with Para motorist – Vijay Sethi – Here is the video of the Base Jump that Delton Made.
- Jimmy Chin – He made a movie called Free Solo on Alex Honnold which won Oscar for best documentary
- Alex Honnold – First human ever to climb El Capitan in Yosemite National Park without ropes (Free Soloing). One mistake and you are gone.
- Casey Neistat
- Sam Kolder
- Kraig Adams
Apps and tools mentioned by Delton –
Movies and shows mentioned by Delton –
Interesting references –
- Cinema Camera
- His Bikpacking series on YouTube –
- Bhutan – The happiest country in the world
- Jaigaon – A border town in India which connects to Bhutan
- Phuntsholing – A border town in Bhutan which connects to India
- Tiger’s Nest – Taktsang Monastery in Paro Bhutan
- Carbon Footprint
- Le Méridien – Their stay partner for the Bhutan Trip – Thimphu | Paro
- Chelela Pass – It’s the highest motorable point in Bhutan, sitting 3988 metres (about 13,000 ft) above sea level. Delton and his mates cycled there from Le Méridien Paro.
- Ratnagiri mangoes
- Devgad Mangoes
- Base Jumping
- Free soloing climbing
- Thermal Wind
- Director’s treatment note – Here is a sample.
- Shot list – Here is a sample.
- mucho dinero – A lot of money (In Spanish)
- OTT (Over the top) Platforms – Netflix, Prime, Hotstar, Voot, Zee5 etc.
- Why we sleep by Matt Walker – Book mentioned by Himanshu
- Annapurna Circuit in Nepal
- Thorong la pass – 5416 meters
- 7Artisans 25mm f1.8 lens
- Pale Blue Dot by Carl Sagan
Quotes by Delton Dsouza –
- Bike-packing is very simple. It’s backpacking on a bike. It literally just that.
- At your hotel stay, you can ask for glass bottles instead of plastic bottles, everyone should do this and reduce their plastic use. In the start, it is going to be a little troubling for you to get in the rut of asking for it every time. But in the long run, it does good to your home, “the earth” and we’ve only got one.
- Everyone says, you’re very talented, but I feel the talent is something you build because you are consistently doing it over and over again and putting in the reps. You are not born with something and you just pick up a camera and say I’m talented. No, you actually do it a lot, again and again.
- You have to start from somewhere, to get to somewhere.
- I never look at failure as a closed door, I try and see what other doors open.
- It’s scientifically proven when a person is taken to the wilderness, it actually calms you down, it makes you centred and focused.
- Even though It sounds cliched but my goal is to live every moment to the fullest, because this is all you have.
Connect Links –
This podcast is brought to you by audible. I love audiobooks and I’ve been using Audible for years. Whenever I’m commuting to work and back. Almost always I’m listening to a book. Because I don’t get as much time to read as I would like to. Audiobooks help me read books in a whole new way.
For you, the listeners of Lifestyle Architecture Lab podcast, Audible is offering a free audiobook download with a free 30-days trial, the free audiobook is yours to keep even after the trial ends. I have a few audiobooks to recommend –
- Sapiens: A Brief History of Humankind – This is one of those books which will take you back to ancient times and teach you so much. I recently read it and it just blew my mind.
- The Graveyard Book by Neil Gaiman – This is one of the greatest bedtime books. Neil Gaiman’s voice just makes this book much more wonderful. The story and the narration is just amazing.
You can download any one of these audiobooks or thousands more for free right now, just go to audibletrial.com/HimanshuSachdeva for your free audiobook.
Listen to this podcast on one of your favourite platforms –
Connect with me –
Previous episodes along with show-notes available here.
Credits and License:
Have something to say? Join the conversation in our Facebook community group!