Shubham Vanmali (International Ultra Swimmer)
[Image Courtesy – Shubham Vanmali]
In this episode, I’m talking to Shubham Vanmali, who is an International ultra swimmer and has swum the English Channel and many other prestigious swim races across the world.
In this conversation, we talk about how he worked with his learning disability and became an international ultra swimmer. Now he is also working for this cause and to spread awareness about mental health-related issues. There are a lot of stories in this episode. If someone wanna pursue professional swimming, this episode is a must listen.
Plus in this episode, I’ve experimented with video as well. So this episode is available both in Video and Audio format.
Here is the Audio (If you are a regular audio podcast listener) – Audio Link
Here is the YouTube link for the video version of our conversation. Let me know if you like the video version, so I’ll try to include more videos in my content creation calendar.
So without further adieu, please enjoy this conversation with Shubham Vanmali.
Links and references from the episode –
Person’s mentioned (in chronological order) in this episode –
- Dhananjay Vanmali (His Father)
- Dipika Vanmali (His Mother)
- Attila Manyoki (Hall of Fame Swimmer) – Instagram
- Ned Dennison (Hall of Fame Swimmer)
- Shubhangi Mam (His Psychologist)
- Anuja Patel (Hist Nutritionist)
- Shweta Mam (His Physiotherapist)
- Kiran Sir (His Physiotherapist)
- Gokul Kamath (His Coach)
- Steve (San-Francisco)
Apps and media mentioned –
- Google Calendar for time management and scheduling
- Podcasts –
Books mentioned –
Interesting references –
- Luminescent sea plants
- Jelly Fish
- Lion’s Mane Jelly Fish
- English Channel Swim – Helpful link
- Strait of Gibraltar – Shubham holds the Asian record for the fastest swim
- Zinedine Zidan incident
- Yuvraj Singh hit six sixes on the bowling of Stuart Broad
- Visualisation Technique before every training session
- Physio Kinesis – Sport physiology centre
- Scapula Weakening – Needling to get it better
- Meditation for Shubham is being with himself for an hour daily when no distractions are around so that the right thoughts and ideas can enter the mind.
- FINIS Duo Underwater MP3 Player – Bone conducting mp3 player
- Jia The Oriental Kitchen, Colaba – Great place in Mumbai for Sushi
- Kofuku, Linking Road, Bandra West, Mumbai – Another great place in Mumbai for Sushi
- Batalla De Rande – 27km swim – Shubham is going to attempt in Spain this Jun 2019
Quotes from this episode –
- You don’t need perfect conditions to make it big, you have to do with what you have.
- An athlete is a sculpture and their support systems are the artist who are carving him.
- We have become cyborgs.
— Elon Musk
- To be on the human side we have to learn to detach ourselves from the devices.
- Train for the border as well.
- When you train, you replicate what you are going to do in your race.
- Educate yourself, rather than educate yourself for degree.
Links mentioned by Shubham –
Link to get his book –
P.S.: DM him on Twitter for English Version (Coming to Amazon.in soon)
Listen to this podcast on one of your favourite platforms –
My Twitter handle: twitter.com/h1m4n5hu
Credits and License:
Have something to say? Join the conversation in our Facebook community group!